19 June 2009

1945 map of Iserlohn & Hemer - click to enlarge

1st Corps District - 1945 to 1947 updated 27 Dec 13

Taken from "History of 1 (BR) Corps 1901-1967"

The End of the War
1st April 1945 saw the start of great changes in the role of 1 Corps. It ceased to be operational the following day, having passed on the previous day from First Canadian Army to Second British Army. It took over administrative duties in the rear of Second Army on the west bank of the Rhine in February and March and soon afterwards, responsibility for the area taken after the Rhine crossing.

A number of changes among the formations in 1 Corps took place in early April while on 21 May 1945 the Corps was designated 1 Corps District and joined HQ 21 Army Group from Second Army. In the following month Lt General Sir John Crocker ceased to command the Corps District, his successor being Lt General SC Kirkman. He was succeeded in September by Lt General GI Thomas who commanded 1 Corps District until its disbandment in 1947.

HQ 1 Corps was at Walbeck until mid April 1945 when it moved to Rhede. In mid June 1945, the Headquarters moved to Iserlohn. Before the end of the war in early May it protected the lines of communication of Second Army. When the war ended the Corps District was concerned with internal security, military government tasks and the disposal of German war material.

Post War Problems
The problem that loomed largest at the end of the war and the one, which occupied the Corps most, was the repatriation of former prisoners of war and displaced persons. British and US POWs released in the Corps area were soon evacuated. Transit centres were set up to forward westbound DPs and ex POWs from France, Belgium and Holland. East bound ex POWs and DPs, Czechs, Greeks, Yugoslavs, as well as Italian ex POWs and DPs were repatriated in June and Russians and Poles mostly by train between July and September 1945. The total numbers repatriated were large. By 27th May 175000 had been repatriated while 705000 were still held. Many DPs and ex POWs however remained behind in Germany.

1 Corps was also responsible for holding German POWs and internees. Some of these men were soon released. 1 Corps District included an area where food, shelter, clothing and fuel were particularly short. Each division had inspection teams, headed by an officer who was an experienced farmer to see that farms which did not deliver up their quota to the food offices and making sure they were not disposing of it for black market sale. In October and November a shoot was organised of deer and wild pig to help in keeping the population of Germany fed. In October 1945 there was clothing levy to help with the grave shortage of clothing while the cutting of trees for fuel was also organised.

The last months of the war and several months after it saw 1 Corps troops busy in battlefield clearance and taking over German war material. Some material was be used by allied forces but much ammunition was destroyed, while guns, tanks, vehicles and valuable equipment were collected into guarded dumps. A last task given to 1 Corps was the control of movement in and out of Germany.

Other problems to be faced in Germany were very numerous. The currency in use had depreciated and was liable to be used for speculation those under military law were forbidden to possess foreign currency other than marks. The danger of typhus had to be guarded against also minefields and booby traps were still to be found. Other Corps District Standing Orders dealt with the procedure for release and the action taken on finding enemy records, the possession of firearms and unauthorised hunting. 1st Corps District was responsible for an area from Aachen in the west, to Minden in the east, Munster and Cleve in the north, to Bonn in the south*. On 1 June 1947 1 Corps District was disbanded and the revival of 1 Corps took place in June 1951.

*another source confirms 1st Corps District took over 30th Corps District’s area until the disbandment

From 21st May 1945 1st Corps District were responsible for the states of Rhineland and Westphalia and its headquarters moved into Aldershot Barracks the former Luftwaffe Flak Kaserne from Rhede mid June 1945 back in 1904 the title 1st Corps was changed to Aldershot Command and in 1905 to Aldershot Army Corps then in 1914 back to 1st Corps so this is why Flak Kaserne became to be known as Aldershot Barracks

A large number of German establishments and houses were taken over by the 1st Corps District and the 328 Military Government Detachment moved into a large building on the Baarstrasse and taking over the four barracks built in the 1930s they were superbly equipped with modern kitchens, gymnasium, swimming pools, motor transport garages and sports fields the only thing they lacked were purpose built officer’s messes as the officers in the German Army lived out of barracks therefore officer messes and clubs were established out of barracks also messes and clubs for warrant officers and sergeants and other ranks the messes were scattered all over town


General Officer Commanding – Lt General SC Kirkman replaced by Lt General GI Thomas Sep 45

Brigadier in charge of Administration – Brigadier PH de Havilland
Deputy Director of Mechanical Engineers (DDME) – Brigadier FM Next
Assistant Quartermaster-General (AQMG) – Brigadier PG Turpin

United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA) – Brigadier King

Iserlohn units as recorded Dec 45
HQ 1 Corps – Aldershot Barracks
1 Corps Signals – Mons Barracks
1 Corps Troops REME Wksp – Brickworks NW of Argonne Barracks
6 General Hospital – Argonne Barracks
92 Army Troops RE – Argonne Barracks
100 CRE Works – Südstrasse
CRE: Lt Col GC Clarke
521 Field Support Company RE
710 Artisan Works Company RE
777 Car Coy
Defence Coy – 1st Battalion Leicestershire Regiment
K Coy ATS
Sigs Met Sec
328 Military Government Detachment – Baarstrasse
121 Special Wireless Section – Sümmern Village detached from 1st Special Wireless Regiment Minden

facilities off barracks as recorded Dec 45
Officers Club (The Bowler Hat) – Wermingerstrasse
Officers Club – 63 Baarstrasse
Garrison Theatre – Hagenerstrasse close to junction with Baarstrasse
Garrison Church – Bachstrasse
Spearhead (Gloria) Cinema – Alexanderhöhe
Spearhead Ballroom – 17 An Dicken Turm
Spearhead NAAFI Club – north east of Aldershot Barracks
Spearhead Lagoon Club – Seilersee run by the Belgian Red Cross
YMCA Harmonie Club – Bahnhofstrasse
YWCA Elizabeth Club – Westergrabenstrasse
Forces Study Centre – opposite Garrison Church Bachstrasse
Wembley Sports Ground + Tennis Courts + Open Air Bathing – next to Spearhead Lagoon Club Seilersee
Oval Sports Ground – Baarstrasse

units recorded later
032 Civilian Interrogation Centre – Gartenstrasse
Ordnance – 6 Baarstrasse (Taxation Office)
Corps District Map Depot – Hansaalle
105 Area Cash Office – Markt Platz
Det 415 FS – 6 Bömberg Ring
RE Purchase Section – An Den Stadtsgarten
Garrison Engineer + 3 DCU + LINRRA – Südstrasse
9 Stores Section RE – 51 Grünerweg
S & T – 2/6 Grünerweg
PCLU + Families Registry + INFM Post and Car Park + AKC HQ – Vinckestrasse
SAAFA + ISSAHS – Dördel Weg
Legal Aid + CVWW – Märkischestrasse

facilities recorded later
032 Civilian Interrogation Mess – Im Bürgergarten
C + D + T Messes + DDOS – Baarstrasse
A + W + REME Messes – Am Tyrol
B + S Messes + Families Institute + Families Clinic – Gartenstrasse
Officers Hotel – Stennerstrasse
Polish Red Cross – Langestrasse
ORs Mess No 3 – Grabbenstrasse
Stables – Argonne Barracks
Signals ORs Club – Westfalenstrasse
Corps Signals Officers Mess and billets – Sundernalle
Corps Signals WOs & Sgts Mess + PCLU Mess – Westfalenstrasse
328 Military Government Det Mess – Westfalenstrasse
WOs & Sgts Families Hostel + ORs Families Hostel + ORs Families Accomadation – Teichstrasse
French House – Friedrichstrasse
NAAFI Gift Shop + Z Mess – Unnastrasse
Families Shop + Ladies Hairdressers – Wermingserstrasse
Mens Hairdressers – Mühlenstrasse
Swimming Pool + CESU Hostel – Bahnhofstrasse
Visitor Mess + Annex + Kinema Section – Altstadt
French Laison + Senior Belgium Laison Officer – Altstadt
Laundry (Dry Cleaning) + Church House – direction Kasbern
Spearhead Casino + ORs Club + Cinema – Alexanderhöhe
Ordnance ORs Billets + Officers Shop – Hagenerstrasse
WOs & Sgts Mess Visitors Mess – 14 Grünerweg
RC Church – Weststrasse
WOs & Sgts Mess Club – Igelstrasse
Garrison Theatre + CSEU HQ – Hagenerstrasse close to junction with Baarstrasse
ATS Billets – Gerlingsler Weg
Y Mess – Dördel Weg
X Mess – Hermannstrasse

521 Corps Field Survey Company RE – arrived 16 Jun 45 from Lüneburg disbanded 28 Feb 46
OCs: Maj CS Barron – Maj RW Pring – Maj AJ Elsey – Maj DE Gardner
1 Topo Section – Recklinghausen
2 Topo Section – Düsseldorf


1st British Corps District Signals moved into Mons Barracks the former Artillery Winkelman Kaserne and by 1946 consisted of nine companies including a ATS company and two companies of former Wehrmacht soldiers

CO: 1945 Lt Col DN Deakin
HQ Coy – 1 Coy – 2 Coy
2 Coy ATS Signals
3 Coy – Köln
4 Coy – Düsseldorf
5 Coy 
– Münster

1st British Corps District Signals reorganized Summer 1946 and renamed 1st British Corps District Signal Regiment changing from static to mobile role – suspended animation July 1947

CO: 1946-1947 Lt Col AS Milner OBE – RSM: WOI Warburton
HQ Sqn – incl 43 TM Tp
1 Sqn – OC Maj LJ Parker – SSM Rockall
2 Sqn – OC Maj Toombs
A + B Wireless Tps + Cipher Tps + 43 Op Tp disbanded – 126 TO Tp to 31 LofC Sqn Hannover
29 TO Tp – 5 + 53 DR Tp to 33 LofC Sqn Düsseldorf
3 Sqn – disbanded first – OC Maj R Hawkins MBE

Jun 45 – 8th Corps District formed – HQ Connaught Barracks Plön was responsible for the state of Schleswig-Holstein and Hamburg disbanded Apr 46

Jun 45 – 30th Corps District formed – HQ Nienburg later Lüneburg was responsible for the states of Hannover/Braunschweig/Oldenburg/Schaumburg-Lippe from Nov 46 known as Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) disbanded Sep 46

Apr 46 – Hamburg District formed

Sep 46 – 1st British Corps District then covered the whole of Germany less the north covered by Hamburg District

18 June 2009

5th Infantry Brigade - February 1947 to April 1958 updated 09 Feb 14

On 1st February 1947 5th Infantry Brigade was re-formed Napier Barracks Dortmund as part of 2nd Infantry Division with the headquarters at St David’s Barracks in Hilden the formation was from the 53rd (Welsh) Infantry Division’s 157th Infantry Brigade the Brigade became a Brigade Group on 1st August 1947 the Brigade HQ moved to Aldershot Barracks in Iserlohn 1st September 1947
Commanders
1947 – Brigadier SN Shoosmith DSO OBE
1947 – Brigadier H Long OBE MC
1949 – Brigadier JHO Wilsey CBE OBE
1950 – Brigadier R Delcombe DSO MBE
1953 – Brigadier EP Sewell CBE
1954 – Brigadier RH Batten CBE DS
1956 – Brigadier PHW Brind DSO OBE
1958 – Brigadier PWJ Pope DSO MC
5th Infantry Brigade Group major units
3rd The King’s Own Hussars – Apr 56 to Sep 57 – Epsom Barracks Iserlohn
3rd The King’s Own Hussars – Sep 57 to May 58 – York Barracks Münster
40th Field Regiment Royal Artillary – Apr 47 to Dec 54 – West Riding Barracks Dortmund
45th Field Regiment Royal Artillary – Dec 54 to May 58 – West Riding Barracks Dortmund
1st Battalion The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) – Jun 47 to Dec 49 – Aldershot Barracks Iserlohn
2nd Battalion The Royal Scots Fusiliers – 1947 to Feb 48 – Napier Barracks Dortmund
2nd Battalion The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) – Aug 47 to Jun 48 – Moore Barracks Dortmund
1st Battalion The Durham Light Infantry – Jun 48 to Apr 51 – Moore Barracks Dortmund 

1st Battalion Kings (Liverpool) Regiment – Oct 48 to Feb 51 – Mons Barracks Iserlohn 
1st Battalion Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) – Dec 49 to Nov 53 – Aldershot Barracks Iserlohn
1st Battalion King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry – Apr 51 to Mar 53 – Moore Barracks Dortmund
1st Battalion Royal Lincolnshire Regiment (10th Foot) – mentioned in the history of 5th Infantry Brigade but also recorded 91st Lorried Infantry Brigade of 11th Armoured Division 
1st Battalion Royal Leicestershire Regiment (17th Foot) – Nov 52 to Feb 55 – Mons Barracks Iserlohn
2nd Battalion The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) – Mar 53 to Aug 54 – Moore Barracks Dortmund
1st Battalion The Lancashire Fusiliers – Nov 53 to Nov 56 – Aldershot Barracks Iserlohn
1st Battalion The Royal Welch Fusiliers – Aug 54 to Aug 56 – Moore Barracks Dortmund 

1st Battalion Worcestershire Regiment – Feb 55 to Dec 56 – Mons Barracks Iserlohn 
1st Battalion Royal Norfolk Regiment – Dec 56 to May 58 – Aldershot Barracks Iserlohn 
1st Battalion Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) – Apr 57 to May 58 – Mons Barracks Iserlohn
1st Battalion Essex Regiment – Aug 57 to May 58 – Moore Barracks Dortmund

5th Infantry Brigade - May 1958 to 1964 updated 8 Mar 10

On 1st May 1958 the command of the Brigade passed from 2nd Infantry Division to 4th Infantry Division with the headquarters at Wentworth Barracks in Herford the composition of the Brigade remained unchanged the Brigade moved in Jellalabad Barracks Tidworth in May 1964
Commanders
1958 – Brigadier PWG Pope DSO MC
1961 – Brigadier JN Thomas DSO MC
1962 – Brigadier DH Davies MC
5th Infantry Brigade Group major units
3rd The King’s Own Hussars – May 58 to Oct 58 – York Barracks Münster
The Royal Scots Greys (2nd Dragoons) – Oct 58 to Jun 60 – York Barracks Münster
1st Royal Tank Regiment – Jun 60 to Sep 61 – Swinton Barracks Münster
1st Royal Tank Regiment – Sep 61 to Jan 62 – Caen Barracks Hohne
10th Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales Own) – Jun 62 to Mar 64 – Barker Barracks Paderborn
45th Field Regiment Royal Artillary – May 58 to Dec 58 – West Riding Barracks Dortmund
The Essex Regiment – Aug 57 to Jun 58 – Moore Barracks Dortmund
Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey) – May 58 to Jun 59 – Mons Barracks Iserlohn
Royal Norfolk Regiment – May 58 to Aug 59 – Aldershot Barracks Iserlohn
The 3rd East Anglian Regiment (16th/44th Foot) – Jun 58 to Mar 59 – Moore Barracks Dortmund
The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment) – Mar 59 to Nov 60 – Moore Barracks Dortmund
The Green Howards (Alexandra’s Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment) – Jun 59 to Feb 63 – Mons Barracks Iserlohn
The 1st East Anglian Regiment (Royal Norfolk & Suffolk) – Aug 59 to Jan 60 – Aldershot Barracks Iserlohn
The Royal Ulster Rifles – Feb 60 to Apr 63 – Aldershot Barracks Iserlohn
The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire) – Nov 60 to Jun 62 – Keightley Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion King’s Own Royal Border Regiment – Jun 62 to Apr 64 – Keightley Barracks Wuppertal
The Royal Welch Fusiliers – May 63 to May 64 – Aldershot Barracks Iserlohn
The Royal Highland Fusiliers (Princess Margaret’s Own Glasgow and Ayrshire Regiment) – Feb 63 to May 64 – Mons Barracks Iserlohn

With this change a new formation sign was required as in the past the Brigade had worn the cross keys of the Division it was decided to retain the key to commemorate the long association with the 2nd Division the bayonet was crossed with the key and the number five in the upper apex set on a red square red being the Infantry colour

17 June 2009

4th Infantry later Guards Brigade - 1947 to 1977


On 1st February 1947 the brigade was re-formed in Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath as part of 2nd Infantry Division with the headquarters at St David’s Barracks in Hilden the formation was from 160th Infantry Brigade of the 53rd (Welsh) Infantry Division and 4th Infantry Brigade became a Brigade Group 1st August 1947 renamed 4th Guards Brigade Group in May 1950

4th Infantry Brigade Units
19th Field Regiment Royal Artillary – Apr 47 to May 50 – Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf
1st Battalion The East Lancashire Regiment – Feb 47 to Jun 47 – Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath
2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards – Feb 47 to Dec 47 – Harding Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion The York and Lancaster Regiment – Feb 47 to Mar 48 – Bradbury Barracks Krefeld
2nd Battalion The Wiltshire Regiment (Duke of Edinburgh’s) – Mar 48 to Nov 48 – Bradbury Barracks Krefeld
1st Battalion The Royal Welch Fusiliers – Jun 47 to Apr 49 – Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath
1st Battalion The Manchester Regiment – Jul 48 to Mar 50 – Manchester Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion The Wiltshire Regiment (Duke of Edinburgh’s) – Oct 48 to Apr 50 – Bradbury Barracks Krefeld
1st Battalion The Royal Norfolk Regiment – Apr 49 to 1950 – Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath

4th Guards Brigade Group Units from May 50
16th/5th Queen's Royal Lancers – Apr 56 to May 58 – Athlone Barracks Barracks Sennelager
19th Field Regiment Royal Artillary – Apr 47 to Sep 54 – Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf
29th Field Regiment Royal Artillary – Sep 54 to May 57 – Caernarvon Barracks Düsseldorf
1st Battalion The Royal Norfolk Regiment – 1950 to Feb 51 – Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath
1st Battalion Welsh Guards – Mar 50 to Mar 52 – Anglesey Barracks Wuppertal
2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards – Apr 50 to Nov 52 – Bradbury Barracks Krefeld
1st Battalion Irish Guards – Feb 51 to Mar 53 – Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath
2nd Battalion The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment) – Apr 52 to Mar 53 – Gort Barracks Hubblerath
2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards – Nov 52 to Mar 55 – Bradbury Barracks Krefeld
2nd Battalion Scots Guards – Jul 53 to Apr 56 – Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath
1st Battalion The East Lancashire Regiment – Feb 54 to Feb 55 – Gort Barracks Hubblerath
1st Battalion Grenadier Guards – Feb 55 to Apr 56 – Gort Barracks Hubblerath
1st Battalion Coldstream Guards – Mar 55 to Jan 58 – Bradbury Barracks Krefeld to 
Gort Barracks Hubblerath
2nd Battalion Scots Guards – Apr 56 to Feb 57 – Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath
1st Battalion Grenadier Guards – Apr 56 to Oct 57 – Gort Barracks Hubblerath
3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards – Feb 57 to May 58 – Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath

May 58 to Mar 71
On 1st May 1958 the command of the Brigade passed from 2nd Infantry Division to 4th Infantry Division with the headquarters at Wentworth Barracks in Herford the composition of the Brigade remained unchanged in March 1964 the Brigade HQ moved to Aldershot Barracks in Iserlohn and in March 1968 moved to York Barracks Münster

4th Guards Brigade Group Units from May 58
17th/21st Lancers – May 58 to Dec 59 – Barker Barracks Paderborn
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards – Feb 60 to Oct 62 – Athlone Barracks Barracks Sennelager 13th/18th Hussars (Queen Mary’s Own) – Feb 64 to Dec 66 – Barker Barracks Paderborn
14th/20th King’s Hussars – Sep 67 to Jun 70 – Barker Barracks Paderborn
13th/18th Hussars (Queen Mary’s Own) – Jan 68 to end 1970 – Swinton Barracks Münster
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards – Jun 70 to end 1970 – York Barracks Münster

1st Battalion Coldstream Guards – May 58 to Nov 58 – Gort Barracks Hubblerath 
3rd Battalion Coldstream Guards – May 58 to Jan 59 – Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath
1st Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry – Aug 58 to Aug 59 – Dempsey Barracks Sennelager
1st Battalion Scots Guards – Nov 58 to Dec 60 – Gort Barracks Hubblerath
2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards – Jan 59 to Nov 61 – Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath
1st Battalion King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry – Aug 59 to Aug 61 – St Davids Barracks Hilden
1st Battalion Welsh Guards – Dec 60 to Nov 63 – Gort Barracks Hubblerath
1st Battalion Irish Guards – Nov 61 to Jul 64 – Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath
1st Battalion Lancashire Regiment – Aug 61 to May 64 – St Davids Barracks Hilden
1st Battalion Grenadier Guards – Nov 63 to May 64 – Gort Barracks Hubblerath
1st Battalion Grenadier Guards – May 64 to 1965 – Keightley Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion Royal Highland Fusiliers (Princess Margaret’s Own Glasgow and Ayrshire Regiment) – May 64 to May 67 – Mons Barracks Iserlohn
1st Battalion Coldstream Guards – Jul 64 to Jan 67 – Aldershot Barracks Iserlohn
1st Battalion Grenadier Guards – 1965 to Jan 66 – Harding Barracks Wuppertal
2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards – Jan 66 to Mar 68 – Harding Barracks Wuppertal
2nd Battalion Scots Guards – Jan 67 to Mar 68 – Aldershot Barracks Iserlohn
3rd Battalion Royal Green Jackets (The Rifle Brigade) – May 67 to Jan 68 – Mons Barracks Iserlohn
2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards – Mar 68 to Mar 69 – Buller Barracks Münster2nd Battalion Scots Guards – Mar 68 to Mar 70 – Waterloo Barracks Münster


Thanks to the Soldier Magazine for the following account published February 1968

"The recent defence cuts have meant a partial run-down and redeployment of Rhine Army. The first major garrison town to be abandoned is Iserlohn. But it was a parting with panache.

They came as conquerors but left as friends. British troops have said goodbye to Iserlohn after 22 years.

Thousands of local people lined the streets while 2nd Battalion, Scots Guards, and 3rd Battalion, The Royal Green Jackets (The Rifle Brigade), and 4th Guards Brigade Signal Squadron, marched through the streets with drums beating, fixed bayonets and the skirl of pipes. Their mirror-like boots clicked smartly on the cobblestones while the pipes and drums and band played a selection of British and German marches including "Colonel Bogey" and "Prussian Glory."

In a touching ceremony on the city's new square – named Schillerplatz after the 19th century German writer who came from a military family – Brigadier D A H Toler, commander of 4th Guards Brigade, and the Oberburgermeister exchanged parting pre­sents. Brigadier Toler gave a silver tray, inscribed with the names of units which have been stationed in the city, and copies of masterworks of Shakespeare, Shaw and Churchill for the Public Library.

Oberburgemeister Gunther Einert pre­sented a framed picture of Iserlohn and leather-bound volumes of the city's history. The Pipes and Drums and Band played "Deutschland uber Alles" and the British national anthem while the troops presented arms.

Later, in the Haus der Heimat, the city's 200-year-old museum and library, local dignitaries and British officers and warrant officers toasted each other in Rhine champagne and exchanged gifts and speeches. Oberburgermeister Einert said the British had arrived as an army of occupation. The Iserlohners were dour people who did not take to outsiders easily. Yet during the years a close friendship had grown up. "Now they are almost citizens of this town," he said "and we are very sad to see them go."

He related an incident that touched the hearts of all the local people. During the parade two little English boys were chatting excitedly, he explained, but when "Unity, Justice and Freedom"* was played one turned to the other and said, "Be quiet – that is the German national anthem."

Iserlohn, which dates back to 1050 and is the home of millionaire Ruhr industrial­ists, will miss its 3000 British inhabitants. They represent one in 20 of the population. The local papers have pointed out how this will affect the economy of the town – 600 Germans employed in the garrison are now out of work and local traders, especially in the fruit and vegetable market, will be hit.

The 4th Guards Brigade, 2nd Battalion, Grenadier Guards, and 2nd Battalion, Scots Guards, are moving to Munster, and the 3rd Royal Green Jackets are going to Celle. The British Military Hospital, Iserlohn, which is run jointly by the British and Canadians, is remaining. The Iserlohners hope that Canadian and German troops will move into the British-vacated barracks.

The British have taken an active part in local affairs. Officers and soldiers have played in the Iserlohn Hot Club and sung in the Choral Society, they ran a thriving Anglo-German club with 80 members, and jointly organised the local Kleine Olympiade (Mini Olympics) and Reitertage (show jumping competition) held each year. The band of The Royal Green Jackets gave several concerts in old folk's homes and orphanages, 225 officers and soldiers recently donated blood to the German Red Cross, and troops cleared snow from the roads after a severe blizzard. About a dozen soldiers have married German girls and settled in Iserlohn after leaving the Army.

The relationship between the British and Iserlohners is described as "truly cordial" by Mr Clive Graham, the Service Liaison Officer in Iserlohn for the past seven years. Mr Graham said they existed side by side "on the most friendly possible basis." Neither had held a major event without inviting the other – the Germans, for ex­ample, had attended the Queen's Birthday Parade and the British took part in the Schutzenfest (shooting festival). Thousands of soldiers were granted free membership of local sports clubs and more than 200 men of The Royal Highland Fusiliers (who were granted the Freedom of the city last year) spent Christmas with German families.

Among the hardest hit is the local football club, Turn und Sportverein Iserlohn. More than 50 British soldiers have played for the team. Herr Hans Schmid – the club meets in his hotel – commented: "They are prima boys. England is the land of football. Together we make a great team."
And a last word from a German who worked for the British Army in Iserlohn for 19 years: "It was OK with the Tommies. They are so freundlich"
*Incorrectly quoted so now changed
2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards – Mar 69 to end 1970 – Buller Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Welsh Guards – Mar 70 to end 1970 – Waterloo Barracks Münster

4th Guards Armoured Brigade Units – back to 2nd Division from March 1971
13th/18th Hussars (Queen Mary’s Own) – end 1970 to Aug 72 – Swinton Barracks Münster
5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards – end 1970 to Dec 74 – York Barracks Münster
2th Royal Tank Regiment – Oct 72 to Jan 77 – Swinton Barracks Münster
17th/21st Lancers – Nov 72 to Oct 74 – Northampton Barracks Wolfenbüttel
4th Royal Tank Regiment – Jan 75 to Jan 77 – York Barracks Münster
2nd Battalion Royal Green Jackets – Dec 1970 to May 71 – Oxford Barracks Münster
2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards – end 1970 to Feb 72 – Buller Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Welsh Guards – end 1970 to Dec 72 – Waterloo Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Grenadier Guards – Feb 72 to Dec 74 – Buller Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Scots Guards – Dec 72 to Jan 76 – Waterloo Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Irish Guards – Jan 75 to Jan 77 – Buller Barracks Münster
2nd Battalion Scots Guards – Jan 76 to Jan 77 – Waterloo Barracks Münster

6th Infantry Brigade - 1947 to 1977 updated 10 Aug 14



On 1st February 1947 the brigade was re-formed in Wrexham Barracks Mülheim as part of 2nd Infantry Division with the headquarters at St David’s Barracks in Hilden the formation was from 153rd Infantry Brigade of the 53rd (Welsh) Infantry Division and 6th Infantry Brigade became a Brigade Group 1st August 1947 the Brigade Headquarters moved to Bangor Barracks Wuppertal December 1951 back to York Barracks Münster April 1958 on 1st May 1958 the command of the Brigade passed from 2nd Infantry Division to 4th Infantry Division with the headquarters at Wentworth Barracks in Herford the composition of the Brigade remained unchanged the Brigade moved to UK in March 1968 the armoured regiments remained in Germany returning in March 1971 to San Sebastian Barracks Soest


6th Infantry Brigade Units
42nd Field Regiment Royal Artillary – 1948 to Nov 53 – Crookenden Barracks Essen
48th Field Regiment Royal Artillary – Nov 53 to Sep 55 – Crookenden Barracks Essen
41st Field Regiment Royal Artillary – Sep 55 to Jul 58 – Crookenden Barracks Essen
8th Royal Tank Regiment – Mar 56 to Apr 59 – Barker Barracks Paderborn
5th Royal Tank Regiment – Sep 57 to Jul 59 – Swinton Barracks Münster
10th Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales Own) – Jul 59 to Jun 60 – Swinton Barracks Münster
The Queen’s Own Hussars – Jul 60 to Aug 62 – York Barracks Münster
4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards – Aug 62 to Dec 64 – York Barracks Münster
15th/19th Kings Royal Hussars – Mar or Nov 65 to Jan 68 – Swinton Barracks Münster
1st Battalion The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) – Feb 47 to Jun 47 – Aldershot Barracks Iserlohn
1st Battalion Gordon Highlanders – Feb 47 to May 49 – Meeanee Barracks Essen
1st Battalion Black Watch (Royal Highlanders) – Feb 47 to Apr 50 – Glamorgan Barracks Duisburg
2nd Battalion The Wiltshire Regiment (Duke of Edinburgh’s) – Feb 47 to Mar 48 – Ripon Barracks Bielefeld
2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards – May 48 to Apr 50 – Dempsey Barracks Sennelager
1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers – Feb 49 to 1949 – Napier Barracks Dortmund
1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers – 1949 to Sep 50 – Ripon Barracks Bielefeld
1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers – Sep 50 to Nov 51 – York Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers – Nov 51 to Nov 52 – Keightley Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion Somerset Light Infantry – Jan 51 to Mar 52 – Oxford Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Somerset Light Infantry – Mar 52 to Sep 52 – Anglesey Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion Royal Scots – Feb 51 to Dec 51 – Portsmouth Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Royal Scots – Dec 51 to May 52 – Harding Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion Northampton Regiment –Sep 52 to Apr 54 – Anglesey Barracks Wuppertal
2nd Battalion Sherwood Foresters – Oct 52 to Oct 53 – Harding Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion Royal Ulster Rifles – Apr 54 to Mar 57 – Manchester Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion Suffolk Regiment – Nov 53 to Jun 56 – Harding Barracks Wuppertal
2nd Battalion Durham Light Infantry – Dec 52 to Jun 55 – Keightley Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion Buffs – Jun 55 to Nov 57 – Keightley Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion Royal Northumberland Fusiliers – Sep 57 to Jan 59 – Buller Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Seaforth Highlanders – Oct 57 to Jan 61 – Oxford Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Royal Leicestershire Regiment – Mar 59 to Nov 62 – Buller Barracks Münster
1st Battalion The Loyal Regiment (North Lancashire) – Jan 60 to Nov 60
Keightley Barracks Wuppertal
1st Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment – Dec 60 to Nov 62 – Waterloo Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Cheshire Regiment Cheshire Regt – Nov 62 to Jun 66 – Buller Barracks Münster

1st Battalion Royal Hampshire Regiment – Nov 62 to Dec 65 – Waterloo Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Queen's Royal Surrey Regiment – Jan 64 to Dec 66 – Oxford Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Devonshire and Dorset Regiment – Nov 65 to Jan 68 – Waterloo Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters – Jun 66 to Mar 68 – Buller Barracks Münster
1st Battalion Queen's Regiment (Queen's Surreys) – Dec 66 to Jul 67 – Oxford Barracks Münster

6th Armoured Brigade Units – moved to 4th Division
4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards – Sep 70 to Jun 73 – Athlone Barracks Sennelager
The Queens’s Royal Hussars – Nov 70 to Jan 77 – Barker Barracks Paderborn
The Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales’s Own) – Jul 73 to Jan 77 – Athlone Barracks Sennelager
1st Battalion Royal Irish Rangers Sep 70 to Jul 74 – Barrosa Barracks Hemer
2nd Battalion Royal Irish Rangers Jul 74 to Jan 77 – Barrosa Barracks Hemer
2nd Battalion Queen's Regiment Jan 71 to Oct 75 – Albuera Barracks Werl
1st Battalion Queen's Regiment Sep 75 to Jan 77 – Albuera Barracks Werl

Aldershot Barracks – 1945 to 1964 updated 10 Feb 13

Formally Luftwaffe Flak Kaserne

1945 map overprinted 1947

1945 to 1947 – 1st British Corps District HQ – disbanded Jun 47

Aug 47 to Jul 48 – 5 Field Squadron part of Royal Engineers 2 Infantry Division later 23 Field Engineer Regiment moved to Gordon Barracks Hameln
Officer Commanding
1947 Maj RWT Britten MC

Sep 47 to Apr 58 – HQ 5th Infantry Brigade – 2nd Infantry Division

May 58 to May 64 – HQ 5th Infantry Brigade – 4th Infantry Division

Sep 47 to Sep 59 – 5 Infantry Brigade Signal Troop later Squadron
Sep 59 to May 64 – 205 Signal Squadron (Infantry Brigade Group) then in 1962 5th Infantry Brigade Group HQ & Signal Squadron
1963-1964 Officer Commanding – Maj DD Raft – RSM WOI S Richings
Squadron moved with the Brigade HQ to Jellalabad Barracks Tidworth to be part of the 3rd Infantry Division

Apr 46 1st Battalion Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) from 227th (Highland) Infantry Brigade command Guards Division moved to Brooke Barracks Berlin Dec 49
detached to Berlin Jul 46 to Feb 47 formally 153rd Infantry Brigade command 53rd (Welsh) Infantry Division to 6th Infantry Brigade command 2nd Infantry Division Apr 47 to 5th Infantry Brigade Jun 47

Dec 49 1st Battalion Queens Royal (West Surrey) Regiment – Michael Caine’s former unit in 1951 – moved to Malaya and Singapore via UK Nov 53

Nov 53 – 1st Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers moved to York UK Nov 56

May 58 – 5th Field Squadron command HQRE 4 Div supporting 5th Infantry Brigade – moved to Alanbrooke Barracks Paderborn Mar 60 continued to support 5th Infantry Brigade until Jan 64
Officers Commanding Mar 58 Maj JH Page MC 1960 Maj KM Bean

Dec 56 – 1st Battalion Royal Norfolk Regiment to Aug 59
Aug 59 – 1st Battalion Royal Norfolk Regiment – amalgamated with 1st Battalion Suffolk Regiment forming 1st Battalion 1st East Anglian Regiment
Aug 59 – 1st Battalion 1st East Anglian Regiment – moved to Montgomery Barracks Berlin Jan 60
Feb 60 – The Royal Ulster Rifles – moved to Bulford UK Apr 63

May 63 – The Royal Welch Fusiliers – moved to St Georges Barracks Minden May 64

16 June 2009

Epsom Barracks - 1945 to 1957 updated 10 Jan 13

Formally Seydlitz Kaserne


Apr 47 to Late 47  1st Battalion Middlesex Regiment (Duke of Cambridge's Own) from Rendsburg command Schleswig-Holstein Sub Area moved to UK


2nd Infantry Division Recce

Apr 48 to Jul 53 – 10th Royal Hussars (Prince of Wales Own) from Kiel command Schleswig-Holstein Sub Area – moved to Tidworth UK
HRH The Duke of Gloucester inspected the Regiment on 18th May 1950

CLICK HERE for a Pathe News clip
Jul 53 to Sep 57 – 3rd King’s Own Hussars – moved to Münster still 2nd Infantry Division Recce

Thanks to Alan Crosskill

"Epsom Barracks, originally constructed for Hitler’s army, were luxurious after the spartan conditions at Catterick, with each Squadron occupying its own three storey accommodation block, with central heating and double glazed windows. Iserlohn was a small and picturesque medieval town located some twenty miles south of Dortmund. The town centre consisted of cobbled streets and attractive buildings, mostly half-timbered with walls painted in pastel shades, some with external artwork and decoration. It appeared to have suffered little during the war. It seems incredible today that a convoy of 48 tanks, each of fifty-two tons, together with many three ton trucks, were allowed to drive through the town, it does not bear thinking about. But in 1955 the war had only been ended for ten years and although the British army was no longer one of occupation that mentality still existed. As our barracks was on one side of the town and the railway station the other, clearly any thoughts of alternative routes did not arise. Also should the driver of a Centurion accidentally clip a lamp post or similar, it was simply a matter of a compensation claim."
In 1957 Epsom Barracks was taken over by the Canadian Army and re-named Fort Beausejour

15 June 2009

Mons Barracks - 1945 to 1964 updated 8 Mar 10

Formally Winkelman Kaserne


1945 to 1946 – 1st British Corps District Signals
1 Coy – 2 Coy
3 Coy were based in ? Barracks Köln

4 Coy were based in ? Barracks Düsseldorf

121 Special Wireless Section were based nearby in the village Sümmern in wooden former German Army barracks

Summer 1946 1st British Corps District Signals was renamed 1st British Corps District Signal Regiment changing from a static to mobile role – disbanded Jun 47

CO Lt Col AS Milner OBE - RSM WOI Warburton - Adjutant Capt Sexton OBE

HQ Sqn OC Capt EA Staerck - QM Capt Deamon - MTO Capt Prickett - TOM Capt RJA Turner

1 Sqn OC Maj LJ Parker - 2 Sqn OC Maj Tooms - 3 Sqn OC Maj R Hawkins MBE

2 Coy ATS Signals

2 Infantry Division Engineers

CO Lt Col EE Stenhouse DSO
May 47 to Jul 48 – 2 Field Squadron formed from 244 Field Company
OCs 1947 Maj BB Spiridion – 1948 Maj J Gordon
21 Field Park Squadron formed from 245 Field Company
OC 1947 Maj RMT Britten MC
Jan 48 to Jul 48 – 38 Field Squadron moved from disbanded 5 Infantry Division Engineers
OCs Nov 47 Maj RL White – Aug 48 Maj RG Lambert

Jul 48 to Dec 48 – 23 Field Engineer Regiment formed at Iserlohn – moved to Gordon Barracks Hameln
CO:
Lt Col AHM Morris

Oct 48 to Feb 51 – The Kings Regiment (Liverpool) – moved to Brooke Barracks Berlin

possibly replaced by The Royal Lincolnshire Regiment (10th Foot) – moved to Manchester Barracks Goslar Jul 52

Nov 52 to Jan 55 – The Royal Leicestershire Regiment (17th Foot) – moved to Sudan

CLICK HERE for a Pathe News clip

Feb 55 to Dec 56 – The Worcestershire Regiment – moved to UK then West Indies

Apr 57 to Sep 59 – The Queens Royal Regiment (West Surrey) becomes The Queens Royal Surrey Regiment – moved to Bury St Edmunds UK

Sep 59 to Feb 63 – The Green Howards (Alexandra Princess of Wales's Own Yorkshire Regiment) – moved to Libya

Feb 63 to Jun 64 – The Royal Highland Fusiliers (Princess Margaret's Own Glasgow and Ayrshire Regiment)
CLICK HERE for a Pathe News clip of the visit of Princess Margaret 11 Jul 63 (second part)

transferred from 5th Infantry Brigade Group to 4th Guards Brigade Group
5th Infantry Brigade HQ moved to Tidworth to become part of the 3rd Infantry Division in June 1964

14 June 2009

Aldershot Barracks - 1964 to 1968 updated 16 Sep 10


4th Guards Brigade Group HQ – 4th Division
May 64 – 4th Guards Brigade HQ & Signal Squadron (204)

May 64 – 4th Guards Brigade Provost Company RMP

From Llanelly Barracks Hubblerath moved to York Barracks Münster with the Brigade HQ March 1968

Help required with minor units

May 64 – 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards – moved to London for Royal Duties Jan 66
Apr 65 to Oct 65 to Cyprus UN tour based at Polemedhia Camp in Limassol

Jan 66 – 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards – moved to Buller Barracks Münster Mar 68

Jul 64 – 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards – moved to London for Royal Duties Feb 67
Aug 65 to Sep 65 exercise in Libya then Sep 65 to Apr 66 to Radfan Camp Aden

Thanks to 'Crusader' Army Rumour Service Website


"Absolute fact. If there are any crusty old 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards veterans here, they will remember that it happened in Aldershot Barracks, Iserlohn in the winter of 1966/67. The barrack square was at the top of the camp and had a slightly raised approach to it. A crack appeared over several days (or weeks), running the width of the square where it was joined by the approach road. One evening, the prowler guard failed to return to the guardroom at the end of his stag, and a patrol was sent out to locate him. After some time, they heard a faint sound of someone calling for help and, following the voice, found that the crack in the road had opened up and the prowler had fallen into it, and was now about fifteen feet below in a large dark hole.Ladders and lights were brought at which time it was discovered that the square was actually the roof of an underground tank-park with a large steel door and it had all been covered in tarmac or concrete. The weight of the concrete had collapsed the rusted door thereby forming the crack, which eventually gave way. There are many other "interesting" tales about that place, but for another time, maybe. By the way...."No" I was not the prowler"
Feb 67 – 2nd Battalion Scots Guards – moved to Waterloo Barracks Münster Mar 68

13 June 2009

Mons Barracks - 1964 to 1968

June 64 to May 67 – 1st Battalion Royal Highland Fusiliers (Princess Margaret’s Own Glasgow and Ayrshire Regiment) – moved to Scotland
Aug 65 to Apr 66 to Cyprus UN tour based at Limassol covering West Cyprus with companies at Ktima and Polis

25th February 1967 given the Freedom of Iserlohn
May 67 to Jan 68 – 3rd Battalion The Royal Green Jackets (The Rifle Brigade) – moved to Trenchard Barracks Celle
In 1968 Mons Barracks was taken over by the Canadian Army and re-named Fort Qu’Appelle